When the Glamorganshire Canal was constructed in the 1790s, it drew water from the River Taff at Radyr Weir, through the same feeder channel as the existing Melingriffith Tin Plate Works. Read More: Melingriffith Pump
In the expanding town of the 1840s, it was thought desirable to replace Bridgend’s old town hall, which stood on arches over the marketplace, with a new building large enough to hold public meetings and courts.... Read More: Bridgend Town Hall
In 1882, at the request of several gentlemen of influence and position connected with Cardiff, local solicitor Frederick De Courcey Hamilton formulated a scheme for the establishment of an Exchange, which would provide convenient offices and a meeting place for merchants, ship owners, brokers and other gentlemen connected with maritime... read more →
When an area is redeveloped it can be hard to remember the buildings that once stood there. Over the next few months our blog will highlight a collection which helps to record the changing face of Cardiff and south Wales. Read More: Mary Traynor of Cardiff Collection
It is 35 years since Pope John Paul II visited Cardiff. The visit, on 2 June 1982, brought the crowds out in force, both on the streets of the city and at the open air events held at Pontcanna Fields and Ninian Park. Read More...
David Davies, often cited as the first Welsh millionaire, was responsible for the development of railways within Wales and was also the man behind the creation of Barry Docks. Alongside these enterprises, he also found success as a colliery owner, earning the nickname “Davies the Ocean” for his development of... read more →
One of the many unusual items to be found at Glamorgan Archives is a poster, approximately 2ft by 3ft, produced in 1920, offering a £250 reward for information leading to the arrest of the thief or thieves who had broken into a jewellery shop in central Cardiff... Read more....
On 1 March St David’s Day is celebrated in Wales, providing schools and communities with an opportunity to mark the occasion by holding parades, dressing in welsh national costume, singing and celebrating all things Welsh. Read More...
Hail! genial season of the year To faithful lovers ever dear Devoted be this day to praise My Anna’s charms in rustic lays Read More...
The Glamorgan Archives holds a large number of items that tell the story of the Glamorgan Constabulary from its creation in 1841. One of the more unusual items is a poem penned by Police Sergeant Caleb Morris (PS 175) in 1918 entitled, ‘A Tribute to the Glamorgan Constabulary’. Read More...... read more →